The Aurora Grants Program
Pic: All 4 One Youth LGBTIQ Group, past Aurora Grant recipient.
Our 2018 Small Grants Round is now closed. Thanks to everyone who applied.
Aurora exists to raise funds to support the LGBTIQ community in a spirit of generosity, sharing and celebration.
The Aurora Group’s Small Grants program is one of the key ways in which we achieve that goal – through the funds raised at our Annual Aurora Ball and other events throughout the year.
Since Aurora’s beginnings in 1999, we have proudly supported organisations around NSW with over $900,000 in funding to carry out projects that support our community, from youth outreach to legal support, education to counselling and creative projects.
Today Aurora’s annual Small Grants Program sits alongside our funding for our major partner Twenty10 incorporating GLCSNSW – to allow Aurora to fund projects that benefit a broad cross-section of the LGBTIQ community.
Aurora prides itself on the support we provide to a wide range of issues in LGBTIQ communities in NSW, particularly those that struggle to gain the support of government or other community fundraising.
Below you will find information on how to apply to Aurora for a grant and the timeline we follow.
Your application will be measured against the following selection criteria:
- Do you qualify: whether your project qualifies for Aurora funding (do you have DGR status, is the project for something that Aurora does not fund);
- Benefit: how your project or activity will benefit the LGBTIQ community;
- Alignment: how your project aligns with Aurora’s vision and values;
- Objectives and strategies: the aims & objectives of your project and the demonstrated effectiveness of the strategies you propose to achieve those aims;
- Feasibility of budget & timeframe: the feasibility of your project budget and timeframe (including detailed breakdown of income and expenditure); and
- Capacity to deliver: your experience and/or demonstrated capacity to deliver the project.
As a charitable foundation that offers tax deductions for donations, we are only able to give grants to organisations that hold Deductible Gift Recipient Status (Item 1) with the Australian Taxation Office.
To find out how to obtain endorsement as a Deductible Gift Recipient, visit the Australian Taxation Office website.
For the benefit of LGBTIQ communities in NSW
Your organisation does not need to be a LGBTIQ community organisation, but the project you are seeking funding for must be focused on providing support to LGBTIQ communities in NSW.
Are there things Aurora does not fund?
Please note Aurora does not provide funding for the following:
- In acknowledgement that there are more options to fund projects addressing HIV/AIDS compared with other issues affecting LGBTIQ communities, Aurora does not fund solely HIV/AIDS related projects.
We also do not fund:
- Entertainment events such as dance parties and picnics
- Existing and on-going wages/positions within an organisation
- Projects that receive on-going funding from other sources (eg: Government funded projects)
- Airfares, accommodation and personal expenses
- Capital works or office equipment
- Projects that don’t align with Aurora’s vision and values
Applications for Small Grants generally open in October each year and close in late October/early November.
Please note, the 2018 – 2019 Small Grants Round is now closed.
Applications will be considered between October and December with successful applicants informed before the end of year. It is advisable that funded projects not be due to begin until after 1st February.
Successful applicants are required to provide a progress report on their project by 1st June and a final acquittal of the project by end October each year.
If the project is not finished by this date another progress report is still required before that organisation can apply for funds again. An acquittal form will be provided to you if you are successful in receiving a grant.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.