Aurora Small Grants fund organisations across New South Wales to support, engage and reach out to the LGBTIQ community.
Aurora prides itself on the support it provides to a wide range of issues in LGBTIQ communities in New South Wales, particularly those that struggle to gain the support of government or other community fundraising.
On this page you will find information on how to apply to Aurora for a grant and the timeline we follow.
As a charitable foundation that offers tax deductions for donations, we are only able to give grants to organisations that hold Deductible Gift Recipient Status (Item 1) with the Australian Taxation Office.
To find out how to obtain endorsement as a Deductible Gift Recipient, visit the Australian Taxation Office by clicking here.
For the benefit of LGBTIQ communities in NSW
Your organisation does not need to be a LGBTIQ community organisation, but the project you are seeking funding for must be focused on providing support to LGBTIQ communities in NSW.
Are there things Aurora does not fund?
Please note Aurora does not provide funding for the following:
- In acknowledgement that there are more options to fund projects addressing HIV/AIDS compared with other issues affecting LGBTIQ communities, Aurora does not fund solely HIV/AIDS related projects.
We also do not fund:
- Entertainment events such as dance parties and picnics
- Existing and on-going wages/positions within an organisation
- Projects that receive on-going funding from other sources (eg: Government funded projects)
- Airfares, accommodation and personal expenses
- Capital works or office equipment
- Projects that don’t meet Aurora’s aims
How to apply
- Plan your project and start speaking to potential partners
- Review the Aurora Funding Guidelines
- Fill out and submit the Aurora Funding Grant Application Form online
(or download the form here and send the completed form to email@example.com).
Applications for the 2016 Small Grants Round closed on Friday 21st October.
The application asks you to explain the following:
- Who your organisation is and its aims
- Proof of DGR Item 1 Tax status
- What you require the funds for (e.g.: a special project)
- How much you require. Please be specific here and provide a basic breakdown of your budget. Please note that grants up to $5,000 are offered – please ask only for what you really need, because we only have so much to go around.
- The time period the funds will be spent in.
- How your project or activity will benefit the LGBTIQ community.
Have questions? For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Small grants of up to $5000 can be applied for in our small grants round. Larger grants are made only by the initiation of the Aurora Board, following in-depth research and engagement.
Successful applicants are required to provide a progress report on their project by 1st June and a final acquittal of the project by mid September.
If the project is not finished by this date another progress report is still required before that organisation can apply for funds again. An acquittal form will be provided to you if you are successful in receiving a grant.
For more information, email email@example.com.