The Aurora Group is a charity, raising funds to disburse to gay, lesbian and transgender community organisations. Aurora exists so people can donate to a broad range of causes that benefit the community. It is the fund raising organisation people choose when they want their money to benefit the community as a whole and not just one specific cause.
The Aurora Group organises unique events. These events, such as the Annual Dinner to celebrate International Stonewall Day are important fund raisers that also bring fun, glamour and joy to our community.
The Aurora Group raises funds through two main categories of activities – a Giving Program and Events.
The Aurora Group – A Ruby Foundation Limited was incorporated in 1999. Aurora was founded by a group of friends who shared a common history of extensive involvement in many community organisations, and who came together to raise funds, and have fun doing it.
- To raise and disburse funds for charitable works and causes which promote, provide or carry out activities, facilities or projects for the benefit or welfare of the lesbian, gay and transgender communities or any members of these communities who have a particular need by reason of youth, age, infirmity or disablement, poverty or social or economic circumstances;
- To organise, promote and sponsor events, exhibitions, forums and other activities which raise funds for disbursement, and which bring people together in a spirit of companionship, fun, sharing and giving for philanthropic purposes;
- To receive donations, grants and bequests from persons and institutions including governments for disbursement;
- To promote and provide education for young lesbians, gay men and transgender people through various strategies and particularly through role modelling, leadership and philanthropic acts in the community; and
- To undertake to meet these objectives in a spirit of joy, celebration and fun.
In 2011, to mark the tenth anniversary of the Aurora Dinner, Aurora announced $100,000 in funding of community groups and projects.